Another look at namespaces

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Thu Sep 16 18:57:16 BST 1999

At 12:48 PM 9/16/99 -0400, Ann Navarro wrote:
>At 12:42 PM 9/16/99 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>>I still find this argument unconvincing.  One schema per namespace appears
>>to be what you're arguing for here
>
>No.
>
>I'm arguing that each flavor of XHTML is sufficiently different (idiom,
>dialect, what have you) that it deserves a different namespace.

And I'm arguing that those flavors are overlapping, insufficiently
different, and that the _only_ thing that distinguishes them is a schema.
That brings us back to one namespace per schema.

Is there _anything_ else besides their names that distinguishes these flavors?

>Information about those namespaces may, if the W3C chooses to follow this
>path, be obtained from a schema, DTD, or other data source at the end of
>that URI.

Or, since this is an XML 1.0 application, you could just read the DOCTYPE
declaration and not try to map namespace URIs to places where the W3C might
(but won't comment on publicly at present) want to go someday.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer (2nd Ed - September)
Building XML Applications
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies