Binary-encoding of XML for communication

Walter Underwood wunder at infoseek.com
Thu Sep 16 19:16:13 BST 1999

At 08:26 PM 9/16/99 +0900, Shinichiro HAMADA wrote:
>Hello, all.
>
>We are trying to develop a Server/Clients network system with XML. In this
>system, Clients read structured data and send them as XML data to a server.
>
>We estimate too heavy to communicate text-based XML and to decode/encode it
>to/from XML object tree. So we think it's desiable to communicate XML data
>as binary serialized object tree. And it's better that the binary code is
>open format.

Do you need to optimize communication (bytes sent/received) or
CPU (time spent parsing)?

If it is communication, try compressing the XML with a standard
algorithm. See the "content-coding" part of HTTP 1.1 for some
samples.

If it is CPU, benchmark XML parsers. Also, use an event-based
parser (SAX) to build your data structures directly. With a
DOM-based parser, you will build objects twice -- once for
the DOM and once for your application.

wunder
--
Walter R. Underwood