Another look at namespaces

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Thu Sep 16 20:11:24 BST 1999

From: Ann Navarro <ann at webgeek.com>

>At 01:29 AM 9/17/99 +0800, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>>It seems clear that the HTML team have some mental concept of
namespaces
>>which exists independently of  what the W3C specification actually
>>allows.
>
>There's no basis for that other than assumption.

No, my basis is the emails on this subject, my involvement in the XML IG
at the time the namespaces spec was developed, and subsequent comments
by many people.

>The HTML WG doesn't live in a cave, nor an alternate reality. By the
>conversations *here* it's clear that the community at large doesn't
agree
>on the value and application of namespaces. That doesn't follow then,
that
>the HTML WG simply can't read a spec or understand the obvious. :)

My point is not that they cannot, but that they have not in this case.
To suggest
that a WG can try to fit a square peg into a round hole does not mean
that
they live in an "alterate reality", merely that they have lost the plot
on one
particular issue, perhaps simply because of youthful enthusiasm.

B.t.w., I think your reaction about "caves and alternate reality" is a
bit too
strong on this; if we say that this use of namespaces is novel and has
not
been justified or even attempted to have been justified in the past,
that does
not mean we are accusing the HTML WG of being a conspiracy.

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)