Binary-encoding of XML for communication

Joshua E. Smith jesmith at kaon.com
Thu Sep 16 21:57:59 BST 1999

I'm not aware of any such standard (unless you just did something obvious
like use Java serialization on a DOM).  However, my experience has been
that gzip (zlib) crunches textual XML amazingly well (thanks to the fact
that most XML documents are full of the same tags over and over and
over...).  And expat can turn XML text into a binary representation really
fast.  Sometimes, simple tools work very well.

At 08:26 PM 9/16/99 +0900, Shinichiro HAMADA wrote:
>Hello, all.
>
>We are trying to develop a Server/Clients network system with XML. In this
>system, Clients read structured data and send them as XML data to a server.
>
>We estimate too heavy to communicate text-based XML and to decode/encode it
>to/from XML object tree. So we think it's desiable to communicate XML data
>as binary serialized object tree. And it's better that the binary code is
>open format.
>
>If I remeber correctly, such a open binary XML format are discussed among a
>starndard XML community. Is it true? If anyone knew anything about that,
>please tell me.
>
>Thank you in advance.
>
>--
>Shinichiro HAMADA