XML in the real world... Was "Re: Another look at namespaces"

Ann Navarro ann at webgeek.com
Fri Sep 17 00:12:17 BST 1999

At 04:01 PM 9/16/99 -0400, Tyler Baker wrote:
>Ann Navarro wrote:
>
>> At 11:43 AM 9/16/99 -0400, Hunter, David wrote:
>> >(If I develop an Intranet application, I want to be able to
>> >use XHTML without clients having to run out to the W3C site regularly.
>> >Ditto for any other XML vocabularies which are defined going forward, from
>> >the W3C or anyone else.)
>>
>> It also should be noted that there's nothing precluding a cache'd copy of
>> that "thing" for that Intranet application.
>
>True, but I think all of this misses the point here. Since November 1997
>when I started
>working with XML, I have never once found any need for a DTD or some other
>Schema language for
>the applications I have written which use XML.

We need to be careful to remember that when working with Recommendations,
our own personal experiences aren't the only experiences that are
applicable. I personally detest frames, yet they were popular enough to
make it into previous HTML Recs. That I didn't like/need/use them didn't
invalidate their (then) usefulness.

Ann

---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Coming in September --- Mastering XML

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org
Director, HWG Online Education             http://www.hwg.org/services/classes