XML in the real world... Was "Re: Another look at namespaces"

Terje Norderhaug terje at in-progress.com
Fri Sep 17 05:01:38 BST 1999

At 1:01 PM 9/16/99, Tyler Baker wrote:

>True, but I think all of this misses the point here. Since November 1997
>when I started
>working with XML, I have never once found any need for a DTD or some other
>Schema language for
>the applications I have written which use XML. For databases, schema's I
>feel are very
>necessary, but I just have not found any real-world use for DTD's or
>schemas to date other
>than as a technical document a programmer can refer to.

An XML editor can facilitate authoring much better if it has a DTD
available. With a DTD, the editor can provide a sophisticated user
interface that suggests the elements that can be used, where they can be
used, and their attributes. Without a DTD, the author will be required to
specify the names of each element and attribute, making authoring
cumbersome. So DTDs have real world use even if the document can be
processed without.

-- Terje Norderhaug <terje at in-progress.com>

President & Chief Technologist
Media Design in*Progress
San Diego, California

   XML Software for Mac Web Professionals at <http://www.in-progress.com>
   Take advantage of XML with Emile, the first XML editor for Mac!

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)