Another try on groves

Francis Norton francis at redrice.com
Fri Sep 17 11:28:06 BST 1999

Thank you Paul.

No disrespect to the more political discussions on XML-DEV, which I
appreciate are inspired by deep feelings about serious issues, but I'd
just like to say that this post is the kind of informative and
enlightening gem that makes it worth plowing through all the traffic.

Now that I have some feeling for the rationale behind Groves, I'd be
very interested in knowing what this might mean for implementations.

Could one come up with a language independent API like the DOM, to which
Grove compliant APIs would conform? Presumably there is more complexity
in that the DOM has a closed set of underlying object types whereas each
Grove interface would would have different underlying object types. In
Java terms, would this be an interface (a totally abstract class which
guarantees a core functionality in any object which implements it)? Has
anyone in fact built CORBA IDL or a Java interface defining the Grove
API, or am I coming in at the wrong level?

Francis.

Paul Prescod wrote:
[ a compelling illustration and explanation of Groves ]

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)