First draft of proposed XML TC for Unicode 3.0 (unofficial)

MURATA Makoto murata.makoto at fujixerox.co.jp
Fri Sep 17 16:18:05 BST 1999

John Cowan writes:

>This is version 0.1 of a proposed technical corrigendum to XML 1.0
>to incorporate the new characters of Unicode 3.0 into the allowable
>sets used in XML Names.  It presumes that XML should not
>remain limited to an obsolete version of the Unicode and ISO 10646
>standards.

I love the idea.  This is certainly a great improvement.

I have one question.  Is U+30FB (Katakana Middle Dot) a name character
in Unicode 3.0?  I had a look at the WWW site of the Unicode Consortium,
but I could not find any information about it.

Omission of this character in Unicode (and thus XML) is very serious.  This
character is so common.  It is a very bad error of Unicode nameing rule.
In a meeting of Japanese Standardization Association, I was asked why this
character is not allowed as a name character in XML.  Some users asked the
same question in an XML mailing list in Japan.  This character is needed
very very badly.

I have spoken with some members of UTC and repeatedly asked them to make this
change.  But I am still not sure if Unicode 3.0 allows this character as a
name character.

The second version of ISO TR 10176:1998 (Guideline for preparation of programming
language) also has a rule for name characters.  This rule allows U+30FB as a
name character.

In the property list of Unicode, U+30FB is classified as hyphens.

Property dump for: 0x20000800 (Hyphen)

002D
00AD
058A
1806
2010..2011  (2 chars)
30FB
FE63
FF0D
FF65

If we cannot handle U+30FB as an exception, we can allow all these characters
except FE63, FF0D, FF65.

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata.makoto at fujixerox.co.jp

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)