XML in the real world... Was "Re: Another look atnamespaces"

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Fri Sep 17 16:22:10 BST 1999

Ann Navarro writes:

 > >That's not entirely true -- MSIE 5, which is very widely deployed,
 > >*does* know about and use Namespaces for ******everything but HTML******
 > (because
 > >there's not a standard HTML Namespace yet).  I think that Mozilla
 > >either does the same or is about to.
 >
 > *****everything but HTML *******  (emphasis mine)
 >
 > Which was my point.

They still use Namespaces in HTML documents, though -- it's just HTML
itself that lacks a Namespace.  It's a crime, really, that they ended
up having to hard-code the 'html' prefix for lack of a standard
Namespace.  We (and I include myself) really missed the boat on that
one: it's a rare opportunity where the W3C could actually have made a
difference in deployed software, and MS would have been happy for the
guidance.  Now we already face the possibility of nasty inter-op
problems.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com