XML in the real world... Was "Re: Another look at namespaces"

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Fri Sep 17 16:41:17 BST 1999

Ann Navarro writes:

 > At 06:18 AM 9/17/99 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
 > >Ann Navarro writes:
 > >
 > > > It's assertions like this that honestly confuse me. WWW content,rendered on
 > > > today's HTML browsers, cares not a whit about namespaces, so how does
 > > > having 3 complicate your life more than 1?
 > >
 > >I and others have pointed out several times that this assertion is not
 > >true -- I know for certain that version 5 of Internet Explorer does
 > >use Namespaces, and I think that Mozilla does as well.
 >
 > For HTML.

That's tautological -- since there isn't a standard Namespace for
HTML, browsers can hardly use a standard HTML Namespace.  The proof of
the success (and necessity) of Namespaces is that browsers are using
Namespaces for lots of other stuff now, and they they are using
Namespaces to disambiguate everything else *from* HTML in an HTML
document.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com