A compromise?

Marc.McDonald at Design-Intelligence.com Marc.McDonald at Design-Intelligence.com
Sat Sep 18 00:39:20 BST 1999

	David Brownell wrote:

> Don Park wrote:
> >
> > What if we came up with a way to associate a schema with any element
> without
> > using namespace?  Would it address the real concerns of the HTML WG?
>
> I'm also curious why the HTML WG should care, since (X)HTML has
> only DTDs (currently three of them) for which there's already
> a standard association technique:
>
>     <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC
>         '-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN'
>         'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/transitional.dtd'>
>
> Seems to me that the best compromise is to stick exclusively to what
> is already accepted -- ruling out schemas.

	EXACTLY. Leave the work to the schema group to solve the general
problem for all XML, not a special solution for XHTML which may or may not
end up being compatible.

	The only argument I've seen presented is if you want to use HTML in
your XML document. It is suggested to declare the HTML namespace and prefix
the elements you use. Since HTML elememts are mixed with other document
elements, the DOCTYPE declaration wouldn' t work.

	Actually it would since the DTD referenced would have to contain the
XHTML element declarations (or use ANY). If it included the declarations
then there would be no ambiguity - validation does not recognize namespaces
so H1 would be declared without a prefix. If it were declared with a prefix,
then it would be establishing a standard prefix and any application could
just as easily recognize 'strictH1' as 'strict:h1'.

	The reuse of DTD content is a general XML issue and should also be
solved generally. I'm not sure which group has responsiblity for it (I'm
guessing schemas).

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)