Binary-encoding of XML for communication

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Sat Sep 18 18:28:21 BST 1999

Don Park wrote:

> I am with TimBL on the issue with binary XML.  WAP is all right but not good
> enough for general use.  We need to put our heads together and squeeze one
> out.  I think it should support exactly one namespace (just kidding :).

At the rate at which we are now deploying mobile communications within
both CDPD and RF systems across the world for public safety, haing no
standard
on this will be mean we will go with the most useful implementation
(probably whatever Microsoft agrees to) and that will become the de
facto
standard for one of the largest commercial applications of mobile
binaries.
Essentially, we are past the point of waiting.  The RFPs are there and
vendors such as Motorola, GTE, etc. are moving on.

The problem is severe.  We must be able to download and upload textual
data, mugshot images, maps, etc. in a record of authority environment.
At this time, we take a wait and see attitude toward XML because
relational systems offer ubiquitous, safe alternatives and XML appears
to be mired in its philosophical constraints.

Len Bullard

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)