should FOP require JDK1.2.x?

schen at falconwing.com schen at falconwing.com
Sun Sep 19 20:45:47 BST 1999

Hi James, everyone,

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, James Tauber wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing people's views on the simple question: should
> FOP (my XSL formatter/renderer) require JDK1.2.x? At present it works with
> 1.1.x.
>
> What are other XML developers doing? Should I stick to 1.1.x compatibility?
> Or can I require 1.2.x without offending too many people?

Not all platforms have stable 1.2 support yet, in fact the only two
platforms that seem to be ok are Windows and Solaris, with Sun's JVM.

What features do you need out of 1.2 that are compelling enough to require
the move?  For both Swing and the collection classes, there are unbundled
versions available for 1.1.

On the other hand, if FOP is just targetting bleeding-edge users, it would
make sense if you really need the 1.2 features.

. . . Sean.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)