W3C and 'small vendors'.

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Mon Sep 20 02:04:00 BST 1999

Daniel Veillard writes:

 >   Another myth is that adding code to the linux kernel can be done
 > by anybody, I can guarantee you that Linus is at least as selective
 > in deciding who he trust for taking the responsability of subparts
 > of the kernel code than W3C groups in selecting invited experts !
 > Probably far more selective actually... There is areas of the
 > kernel code that nearly nobody else will be able to touch.
 >
 >   And honnestly this very tight control is probably the best reason
 > why the project did stay successful. The more the area is near the
 > kernel or the core, the harder it is to get changes. I guess it
 > simply makes sense.

To balance this analogy, it's important to remember that Linus sticks
to the kernel and leaves the other layers alone (he doesn't try to
tell Richard Stallman how to run the Gnu project, for example).  XML
should work that way (and the naming mechanism described by Namespace
in XML takes us partway there), but there is an annoying co-dependency
between developers -- who both expect the W3C to define everything
XML-related and blame it for trying to do too much and/or taking too
long -- and the W3C itself, who likes the attention, positive or
negative.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com