should FOP require JDK1.2.x?

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Mon Sep 20 03:02:42 BST 1999

David Megginson wrote:

> schen at falconwing.com writes:
>
>  > Not all platforms have stable 1.2 support yet, in fact the only two
>  > platforms that seem to be ok are Windows and Solaris, with Sun's
>  > JVM.
>
> JDK 1.2 behaves very well on Linux as well, at least as far as I've
> pushed it over the past few months.

Ditto.  The only thing I'd really say against JDK 1.2 is that most of
the non-licenced versions of Java (notably the GCC/GCJ one) are sticking
to the JDK 1.1 APIs for now.

Everyone's working on getting licensed versions of JDK 1.2 available
on all the other platforms.  Given that they're not all there yet, I
tend to be cautious about hard-wiring in dependencies on JDK 1.2 APIs.
However, 1.2 is my primary development platform (on Linux and NT).

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)