an unfilled need

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Mon Sep 20 12:08:43 BST 1999

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan at sgml.u-net.com>

>... Using this technique you can
>decouple the model language used for the message from any model
associated
>with the semantics. This means that it does not matter how the
semantics
>have been defined (XML-Data, RDF, text, etc) you can still use a DTD or
>Schema to model your message. To me this gets over the problems that
would
>arise if W3C tried to define formal mechanisms for the linking of
namespace
>URIs to schemas, etc.

To find the schema applicable for a namespace, we should not have
a function:
    fetch-resource(namespace-URI)

Instead, there it should go through some service:
    get-resource(namespace-URI, namespace-resolver-service-URI,
        preferred-syntax, resource-type)
where resource-type could be "syntactic-schema", "semantic-schema",
"documentation", etc.

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)