W3C's 'Moral Majesty'

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Mon Sep 20 16:35:58 BST 1999

At 10:10 AM 9/20/99 -0400, Ann Navarro wrote:
>At 03:03 PM 9/19/99 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>
>>One key area of 'consumers' that I don't see represented as W3C members is
>>open source software developers
>
>The Open Group is a member of the W3C. And indeed until his recent job
>change, Shane McCarron was their AC rep and participant on the HTML WG (the
>later being something he continues now as an invited expert).

Er... so far as I've seen, the Open Group isn't a bastion of Open Source
software.  It's a consortium like the W3C, although it goes so far as to
have a 'sales team' for membership questions.  Registration is a minimum
requirement for access, and that doesn't get you far.  A search for open
and source (through the advanced search, not the simple, which sticks you
with an or) finds very little 'open source'.

While they do release some software with source, even free, they aren't
'open source' in the commonly understood (though often-debated) sense of
the Open Source Initiative (www.opensource.org) or the Free Software
Foundation (www.fsf.org).

Open source in these senses remains poorly served by the W3C's process (and
probably by the Open Group's process as well, from what I can gather on
their site.)

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer (2nd Ed - September)
Building XML Applications