PGML/VML Books

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Mon Sep 20 19:57:04 BST 1999

At 10:22 AM 9/20/99 -0700, Flash Gordon wrote:
>Is there any good books on PGML or VML ? Please send your bookmarks and
other resources too.

I don't think there are any books focusing on PGML or VML, but you may be
able to find XML books that provide some coverage.  Chapter 18 of _Building
XML Applications_, which I wrote with Ethan Cerami, shows how to build a
viewer for a PGML subset.  Chapter 18 of _Inside XML DTDs: Scientific and
Technical_, which I wrote with Robert Biggar, discusses PGML and VML with
some simple examples and discussions of what might come in SVG - at the
time, SVG was the future, just a requirements doc.

I can't recommend buying either of these books solely for PGML or VML
content, but they might give you at least a taste of what those tools can
do.  (Read the chapters in a bookstore or library - I really don't mind.)

I know that Webmonkey (http://webmonkey.com) used to have some VML
tutorials, but they seem to have disappeared.  Since VML got pretty deeply
into Office 2000, someone will probably cover it.  Maybe one of the more
Microsoft-oriented XML books will provide a full tutorial, but so far as I
know, it hasn't appeared yet.

You might prefer to explore SVG, the W3C's _Scalable Vector Graphics_.
See http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/99/10/index3a.html for a fairly good
(though somewhat dated) intro.  If it succeeds, everyone will support SVG,
from Microsoft (hopefully) and Adobe to IBM and Corel.  The latest SVG
draft is at http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer (2nd Ed - September)
Building XML Applications