ID/IDREF-like Definitions in the Schema itself

Friedhelm Krebs krebs at uni-koblenz.de
Tue Sep 21 15:59:59 BST 1999

ID and IDREF are attributes of an XML-document, to define associations
between elementes outside of the hierachie, but only of documents, this
means, of instances of a schema.
Is there any possibility to define an association like this in the
schema itself?
My problem is, I want to define, which elements of a document are needed
to calculate a sum, or to do any other operation. The result will be the
content of an element, and the operation will be called, while I create
the document instance.
If there´s a possibility, an application, who does the calculation,
could be universal, as I wouldn´t have to implement, where to get the
parameters.
A bad idea is to enumerate the element-names in a CDATA-Attribute, as
there is no possibility for validation.
Is there any other possibility?

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)