RFC: Attributes and XML-RPC

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Tue Sep 21 18:19:27 BST 1999

At 08:49 AM 9/21/99 -0700, Dave Winer wrote:
>I agree that attributes are an unfortunate and unnecessary redundancy in
>XML. I was not that wrong-headed guy from Microsoft, but if I knew who it
>was, I would agree with him. BTW, a very interesting discussion is happening
>over on the XML-RPC DG. It's not an exact replay of the discussions we had
>last year. Dave

XML-RPC's simplicity is remarkable, and it's made it much easier to explain
to people, I've found.  I don't know if lack of attributes is precisely
why, but the approach overall seems sound.

It'd be nice to find a way to exchange leaf elements and attributes without
breaking parser and validator expectations - that might get us out of the
recurring elements vs. attributes discussions.  I'm not sure it would
address everything in XML-RPC, notably the way it does data typing with
nested elements, but it might help mellow this eternal and very basic
question.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer (2nd Ed - September)
Building XML Applications