an unfilled need

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 21 18:35:12 BST 1999

Martin Bryan wrote:

> One of the techniques the XML/EDI community have been propounding

vs proposing?  I'd be curious whether alternative approaches have been
examined, or what alternative techniques were discussed within the scope
of this particular approach.

>	is the use
> of namespaced attributes to point to semantic specifications using the XLink
> mechanism or an application specific mechanism. Basically the namespace of
> the attribute points to the rules for interpreting the attribute value and
> the value of the attribute points to the definition of the semantics that
> are to be applied to the element.

This doesn't require actually trying to fetch information identified by a
URI.  But it also leaves open the question of which level(s) of semantics
are tied to the namespaces in question.

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)