RFC: Attributes and XML-RPC

Erik James Freed ejfreed at infocanvas.com
Tue Sep 21 23:12:15 BST 1999

I believe that a good modeling approach would be to define 'exactly' what
you
mean by the difference between hair color and pet ownership. I would guess
that you would use words like: 'sharing', 'containment', 'separability',
'ownership'
or 'lifetime'.

Lots of time has been spent in data modeling trying to understand the
simplest
constructs to capture these nuances expressively and concisely. Its hard
stuff.
Attributes versus elements is not, I would
claim, a particular elegant way to capture this, no matter how fuzzy one
subculture
feels about it. So the question is: how high level does XML want to be? One
could
consider it a low level implementation language, or a high level modeling
language
or both or something in-between, but that choice would drive both how to
handle data modeling
problems such as you are concerned with and also how to allow 'readability'
to effect
design decisions.

(I have not yet looked at Groves and perhaps this is the answer to some or
all of my wonderings...)

erik

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)