Xml Messaging

Ken MacLeod ken at bitsko.slc.ut.us
Wed Sep 22 16:52:58 BST 1999

"Rick Sanderson" <ricks at fourbit.com> writes:

> I am working on a generic framework for client/server/distributed
> apps, and have decided that XML belongs in the messaging
> subsystem. My question basically boils down to this: should XML
> messaging be based on a "metadata" language, or on a "domain"
> language?

I think you'll find a wide variety of opinions on this one.

Metadata languages are often easier to apply when you don't have
control over the data model of the data you will convert to and from
XML.

If you control the entire usage of your application (clients and
servers) you can easily define a domain language and use that.  Most
XML applications that define an XML DTD or schema for their specific
messages are, of course, domain languages.

There are several projects aimed at automatically associating domain
languages with general data models.

My list is out of date, but the following are some examples of each:

 * Metadata languages for messaging using XML

   * LDO-XML       <http://casbah.org/LDO/>
   * ObjectSource  <http://www.xml.com/pub/1999/09/serialization/index.html>
   * SOAP          <http://www.develop.com/soap/>
   * WDDX          <http://wddx.org/>
   * XML-RPC       <http://www.xmlrpc.com/>
   * XP            Extensible Protocol, an expired Internet Draft

 * Messaging support for Domain languages

   * XMLTP         <http://xmltp.org/>

 * Tieing domain languages to data models

   * Coins         <http://www.jxml.com/coins/>

--
  Ken MacLeod
  ken at bitsko.slc.ut.us