RFC: Attributes and XML-RPC

Leigh Dodds ldodds at ingenta.com
Wed Sep 22 17:56:01 BST 1999

> Yet, depending on the application that's processing the
> information, the location of the physical birth record might very well be
> content.
[snip!]
> Attributes seem to "fossilize" one particular perspective of the
> data, at the expense of alternative ways of looking at the information.

I agree - that was essentially what I was driving at, but probably
less lucidly. :)

The 'metadata' are useful pointers to the processing application.
They're not part of the document content, so shouldn't they be
modelled separately? Either as element content, and make
use of namespaces to clarify their role, or pull 'em out into a
separate document entirely.

L.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)