Elements cannot be described more than once in DTD, right ?

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Thu Sep 23 20:07:11 BST 1999

Pavel Velikhov wrote:

> Well, theoretically they are pretty serious problems. If you want to
> take a union of DTDs, say when integrating two XML databases, you might end up with a DTD that
> allows a lot of junk elements, while the original DTDs were strict enought. In the
> database setting, when the DTDs are used as database schemas, this leads to all sorts of
> problems.

Maybe.  I don't take DTDs that seriously and that doesn't mean I don't
use
them.  Take the example of combining two databases.  Look at the
relational
representation.  To update or append, you must first map names then
identities.
When you map names in XML, the namespace works.  Why?  Because an
instance
aggregates fine as long as the local content model is valid.  The
namespace
identifier does its job of uniquefying the string values of the element
and attribute members.   So far so good.

We tend to regard DTDs as static defintions, monoliths.  In effect,
if we use aggregation in instances and still want to use DTDs, we
have to consider DTDs as dynamic structures which modify their
productions to cohere with the aggregate instance.  This reciprocity of
instance and defintion will indeed make the DTD slacker or tighter
with regard to any instance of itself but not of the validatible
instance.
In essence, the evolution of the instance and the DTD are tightly
coupled.  That is useful.

The problem is not creating the database, it is keeping the
schema up to date with the forms of the instance which evolves
behaviors are well-formed, then the DTD changes according to
regular productions which are known.   What is useful then
is to define those productions and by them, order the evolution
of the DTD in accordance to the requirements of the enterprise.

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)