groves dissent (was RE: RFC: Attributes and XML-RPC)

Reynolds, Gregg greynolds at datalogics.com
Thu Sep 23 20:39:35 BST 1999

Sorry, I'm afraid I do mean groves.  Your note sent me back to the DSSSL
text (don't have the Hytime text at work), and I came away from it just as
depressed as always.  I have a few basic problems with it (leaving aside the
question of English prose - don't get me started).  First, it forces
everything into a two-dimensional tree.  Then, since that doesn't really
work very well, given that attributes and children (in the ordinary,
intuitively understandable sense of these terms) are different types of
critter, it distorts this by privileging a certain "property" (read
"child"), and thereby a particular set of paths in that tree, as the real
tree.  In a word, it takes what is basically pretty simple - an attributed
tree - and turns it into something of surpassing obscurity.  But "the grove
model" isn't even necessary.  The thing it tries to model can be modeled
quite adequately without any invented terms or concepts.

I don't mean to be a spoil sport, but I do want to register a dissenting
squeek amid the celebration of groves in recent threads.  It's not intended
as a slight to those who put in such hard work in developing groves etc.,
only as a technical evaluation.  In fact I have great respect for the folks
who did the work, and for the work itself - I've learned a great deal from
it.  But not all great experiments succeed, and groves/DSSSL/Hytime have
failed in the marketplace for good reasons, and that should guide us in
building XML.

Another $0.02, that makes $0.04, I'd better shut up now.

-gregg

mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN
981-02-3594-1