ANN: XML-DBMS, Version 1.0

Ronald Bourret rbourret at ito.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Sep 24 22:08:45 BST 1999

XML-DBMS version 1.0 is now available at:

http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/DVS1/staff/bourret/xmldbms/xmldbms
.htm

XML-DBMS is a set of Java packages you can use to transfer data between XML
documents and relational databases. It views the XML document as a tree of
objects and then uses an object-relational mapping to transfer the data.
Both the view of the XML document and the mapping are completely
configureable through a simple, XML-based mapping language.

XML-DBMS is both parser and database independent, as it is based on the
DOM, SAX, and JDBC. It is currently being used or evaluated in a number of
large European corporations and is, to my knowledge, the only XML data
transfer middleware that is freely available, database-independent, and can
transfer data both to and from any XML document.

Since the alpha/beta release, I have added a number of features, including:

* The ability to generate a mapping from a DTD or DDML document.
* User-controlled date/time/timestamp formats.
* User-specified treatment of null data.
* Caching/reuse of prepared statements for better speed.
* Serialization of mappings from Map objects.
* Additional user control over transactions.

As always, XML-DBMS is completely free for use in both commercial and
non-commercial settings and comes with complete documentation and source
code.

-- Ron Bourret

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)