XHTML and the Three Namespaces

Andrew Layman andrewl at microsoft.com
Sat Sep 25 02:05:56 BST 1999

Re Marc McDonald's recent message,
http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Sep-1999/1160.htmlnot:

You raise the valid point that a lot depends on what one means by
"definition."

I believe that you at one point use 'definition' to mean 'mapping' in the
sense of an architectural form 'definition' providing some projection and
transformation of the elements in one language to those of another.  When I
write "Anything so identified can have, at most, one definition" I am using
'definition' in the sense of 'specification of the characteristics of
something, including constraints and relations that are intended by its
creator to apply to all instances.'

Perhaps our apparent disagreement arose because when I wrote "definition" I
had one meaning in mind, and yet you interpreted it to possibly have a
different meaning.  That is, we associated the same word with different
definitions.  This is what I hope we can avoid in our formal language
specifications.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)