Packaging and related-resource discovery

Mark D. Anderson mda at discerning.com
Tue Sep 28 06:10:30 BST 1999

I don't know if that was a request for comments or not, but....

the document seems a little loose about distinguishing:

- the problem of how to associate/identify a related resource
from within another (linking)

- the problem of determining what related resources exist for
a given document (perhaps scoped by type), when that given document
does not have embedded/inlined information (discovery)

- the problem of how to map through a level of naming indirection,
whereby there is a known relation to a name but not to an explicitly
identified location (resolution)

The first seems easily solvable by a standardization from among the
plethora of existing mechanisms.

The last seems solvable, and there are already a variety of proposals
(rfc2169, draft-ietf-urn-dns-rds-01.txt, cowan's "XML Catalog", etc..),
but it seems vulnerable to commercial stonewalling.

The second seems both technically hard and vulnerable to commercial
politics, so i'm not hopeful.

-mda

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)