an unfilled need

Tim Berners-Lee timbl at w3.org
Tue Sep 28 23:48:03 BST 1999

>> Rick Jelliffe:
>>>There is no W3C method to declare which schema should be
>>>used, akin to the stylesheet declaration.
>
>> Yes there is: resolution of the schema URI.
>
>Tim is saying that using the namespace URI to specify a schema
>is the official W3C method. But there is nothing about this in
>any W3C spec; no working group has decided this or put it out
>in a public draft or spec.

Clearly there is a lack of public guide to W3C architecture and plans.
I admint, a lot of these are discussed at eht AC meting.  We do have
activity statements (linked from http://www.w3.org/ by two clicks) but they
may have too high a granularity.  I have my own notes about architecture
at http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/ the top level of which,
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Architecure is still a note but has had
a lot of discussion for example in the chairs group.

I haven't investigated this case just now as regards where all the documents
are, but the RDF work certianly assumed that the
namespace URIs point to schemas and that is clear even from the RDF Rec.

Tim