Another look at namespaces

Tim Berners-Lee timbl at w3.org
Wed Sep 29 00:05:18 BST 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Bray <tbray at textuality.com>
To: XML-DEV <xml-dev at ic.ac.uk>
Date: Friday, September 17, 1999 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: Another look at namespaces

>At 09:18 AM 9/17/99 -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>>From: Tim Bray <tbray at textuality.com>
>>>Among other things, I don't believe that most
>>>interesting namespaces *have* definitive information, but have semantics
>>>that are communicated via some messy combination of schemas, stylesheets,
>>>prose documentation, and running code.
>>
>>We either have a different use of words or a very serious
>>problem.  Whereas with natural langauge, meanings change and
>>grow and everyone has slightly different associations with a word,
>>in computer languages we need to build on top of XML we need
>>to have the ability to define meaning precicely in terms of
>>other existing languages.
>
>Actually, Tim B-L and I are both advocates of moving as much semantics as
>possible from idiosyncratic impenetrable procedural code and woolly forests
>of prose into declarative schemas so that you can start to use some
>knowledge rep tricks and do a bit of meaning-discovery, not just the
>resource-discovery enabled by the current Web.  This is what Tim calls
>"the semantic web" in his platform speeches, and its foundation is
>RDF and RDF style schemas.  I'm onside with this.
>
>Perhaps the disagreement (if any) is on the degree to which this
>is possible.  There are going to be lots of languages invented, and
>while I believe that we will get increasingly better definitional
>machinery as time goes on, I see no reason to believe that any of
>the following are going away:
>
>- human-readable documentation
>- messy procedural code that actually does something useful with the data
>- stylesheets (plural)
>- related resources containing hyperlink networks
>- related resources containing RDF assertions in some vocabulary
>- transformation specs along the lines of XSLT

I think that the essential thing for me is the availability of the
definitive
schema (the resource identified by the namespace URI) for making
definitive pronouncements by the language publisher in the form of any of
the above.

>and so on and so on.
>
>What bothers me is the notion that among all these things, the schema
>is somehow privileged and special.  I think that which of the above
>laundry-list you care most about is very highly application-dependent,
>data-dependent, and rather wholly unpredictable in the general case.

There is however, whether you physically retrieve it or not, something
fundamentally important about the definitive meaning of a language.
Brain Carpenter summed it up will in the IAB statement which just came
around (appended):

 "In the case of a public communications system this condition of a common
 symbol set with a common semantic interpretation must be further
 strengthened to that of a unique symbol set with a unique semantic
 interpretation. This condition of uniqueness allows any party to initiate a
 communication that can be received and understood by any other party. Such
 a condition rules out the ability to define a symbol within some bounded
 context. In such a case, once the communication moves out of the
 context of interpretation in which it was defined, the meaning of
 the symbol becomes lost."

>I suspect that the proportion of real-world applications that actually
>use the schema at run-time will be moderate at best - schemas come more
>usefully into play in application design, authoring support, and so on.
>Perhaps Tim B-L thinks that this proportion will in fact be quite high?

It is not a question of the proportion but of the principle.
XML is going to be used for such a vast array of applications
that to try to guess what sorts will be most numerous is IMHO
a dangerous idea - as you point out.  However, building the
system  cleanly and so that things have well defined meanings
is the way to prepare for all kinds.

>This is a reasonable disagreement, and we've all been fooled by
>technology enough times to have learned humility.
>
>So.......... where do we still have disagreements with concrete
>short-term implications?
>
>1. I'm convinced that the namespace mechanism, while it's useful
>   for what it is, is hopelessly inadequate as a tool for direct
>   mapping between instances and schemas.

I am disappointed to hear that from an author of the spec.
(Can I say " .... and definitive schemas?")

> We need at least one level
>   of indirection, i.e. the packaging work that's hanging fire in
>   the W3C XML activity.

Packaing is not indpirection, its putting  >1 document in one document for
convenience.

Indirection you can get in many ways just by using a namespace URI
in a suitable scheme (like http) which allows indirection, caching etc.

>2. For this reason, I think that the correspondence between
>   namespaces and DTDs in XHTML 1.0 PR doesn't do a good job of meeting
>   the needs of either people who need schema discrimination or of
>   people who think HTML-is-HTML.

The "HTML-is-HTML"  phrase suggests documentation of the suboptimal world
in which anything goes.  I am against it.  I explined why in a keynote
at the Brisbane WWW conference, I tried to explain why in my book, and
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Evoluion   (alas corrupted at the end) and
other documents.

>3. I am astonished and disappointed that the W3C still can't bring
>   itself to publish a 3-line note saying that for those who see
>   HTML just as HTML, and who want to mix & match those tags with
>   others, they should use the following URI as a namespace name for
>   HTML: <insert any old plausible namespace URI here>

It depend on wht you mean about mixing & matching.
If you mean a return to the bedlam of HTML 2++-- I dop not
see it a part of leading the web to its full potential though evoluition
and interoperability...

If you mean define a clean superset language and its grammer and give
it a label then I would be all for it

> -Tim

Tim

in no official capacity

_______________________________________

>From: Brian Carpenter <brian at ICAIR.ORG>
>To: IETF-Announce: ;
>Subject: IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root
>Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:33:15 -0400
>Sender: scoya at cnri.reston.va.us
>

>[The IAB has sent the following note to comments at icann.org]
>
>IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root
>
>SUMMARY
>
>The Internet, to remain a global network, technically requires  the
>existence of a globally unique public name space. The DNS name space is a
>hierarchical name space derived from a single, globally unique root.
>This is inherent in the design of the DNS system. Therefore it is not
>technically meaningful for there to  be more than one root in the public
DNS