query language

Michael Champion Mike.Champion at softwareag-usa.com
Tue Feb 1 15:22:12 GMT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Kline" <bkline at rksystems.com>
To: "Eric van der Vlist" <vdv at dyomedea.com>
<xml-dev at ic.ac.uk>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: query language

> The XQL spec is one of the candidates submitted to the XML Query
> Language WG (another is XML-QL).  The members of the WG have been very
> tight-lipped about what they're doing, so it's pretty difficult (or
> impossible) for those not on the inside to make any project plans in
> this area with any real confidence that they'll end up with designs that
> are compatible with the adopted recommendation.

I don't claim to be "on the inside", but my understanding is that NO ONE in
or out of the W3C or Query WG could make any plans in this area with real
confidence that they will be compatible with the adopted recommendation.

XPath is, again to the best of my understanding, the closest thing to a
query standard that we have for the moment.  The Query Requirements say "The
XML Query work will take into consideration the expressibility and search
facilities of XPath when formulating its algebra and query syntax, and
wherever possible try to encompass those functionalities into its query
language."

Anyone can comment on the Query Requirements at
mailto:www-xml-query-comments at w3.org (and check the archive at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-query-comments/ .

Please note: New list subscriptions and unsubscriptions
are  now ***CLOSED*** in preparation for list transfer to OASIS.