defense of XML Schema (was: RE: my XSLT equipment)

Jean Marc VANEL jean-marc_vanel at effix.fr
Tue Feb 1 18:30:01 GMT 2000

From: "Brandt Dainow" <bd at internet-etc.com> on 01/02/2000 03:56 PM

Please respond to "Brandt Dainow" <bd at internet-etc.com>

To:   xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
cc:    (bcc: Jean Marc VANEL/EFFIX/fr)

Subject:  RE: my XSLT equipment

I have to disagree. I think the schema format is MUCH worse to work with. It
is overly long

(and a drag to code) and adds nothing of value over DTD's.

You can parse the XML Schema just like any XML, you don't have to wait for a DTD API. And then you can generate code to read XML data, make user form, generate queries, adapt to schema variations,
etc.

I'll ignore the fact it is not finished and unstable.

You can make something usable with what we have now, and translate it later to final spec. with a XLST transform, or just stay with this version if your application doesn't evolve.

Brandt Dainow
bd at internet-etc.com
Internet Etc Ltd
http://www.internet-etc.com

mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ or CD-ROM/ISBN
981-02-3594-1
Please note: New list subscriptions and unsubscriptions
are  now ***CLOSED*** in preparation for list transfer to OASIS.