ANN: SAX 2.0 extension proposals.

Miles Sabin msabin at cromwellmedia.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 19:22:31 GMT 2000

Jim Layer wrote,
> If it is split, I would like to see at least the meta-
> information interface included in the core.

I think that's pretty much essential. All the rest could
happily live in org.xml.sax.ext or whereever.

> [snip: exposing SAX 1 validation]
> The current implementation makes it easy to test with current
> (SAX1) parsers but I'd as soon see the system property related
> logic removed from ImplEnumeration (even though it does
> provide more flexibility, at least on paper
<snip/>
> You have to fool with CLASSPATH to add another parser anyway
> and it's easy enough to field a custom jar earlier in the
> CLASSPATH to produce the effect.

I think you're probably right about taking that logic out of
ImplEnumeration. And yes, you're right that there's not a lot
of difference (in terms of difficulty of configuration)
between adding a -D switch and adding something else to the
CLASSPATH. I'll have a think and see if I can come up with
something better. Any suggestions welcome.

> [snip: feature and property String constants]
> BTW Miles, shouldn't those strings be "static final"?

Nope, because data members in _interfaces_ are implicitly
public, static and final, and, according to the rather skimpy
JLS updates at, http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/clarify.html

  It is permitted, but strongly discouraged as a matter of
  style, to redundantly specify any or all of these modifiers
  for such fields

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews

Please note: New list subscriptions and unsubscriptions
are  now ***CLOSED*** in preparation for list transfer to OASIS.