Undeclared attributes [was: Who knows?]

Bob Kline bkline at rksystems.com
Tue Feb 1 19:38:07 GMT 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Falk, Alexander wrote:

> Is XML file valid if an element contains an attribute which is not
> declared in a DTD. I could not find exact information in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210
>
> Please answer only if you are absolutely sure!

See 3.1 Start-Tags, End-Tags, and Empty-Element Tags:

  "Validity Constraint: Attribute Value Type
      The attribute must have been declared; the value must be of
      the type declared for it."

1.2 Terminology:

  "validity constraint
      A rule which applies to all valid XML documents ...."

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline at rksystems.com
http://www.rksystems.com

Please note: New list subscriptions and unsubscriptions
are  now ***CLOSED*** in preparation for list transfer to OASIS.