SAX2 Namespace Support

Stefan Haustein stefan.haustein at trantor.de
Sun Jan 2 02:17:13 GMT 2000

David Megginson wrote:

>   public class NamespaceHandler
>   {
>     public void startElement (String namespaceURI, String localName,
>                               NSAttributeList atts)
>       throws Whatever;

In order to support the "old" AttributeList.getValue (String name),
AttributeList needs to be aware of the element's namespace. If
getElementNamespace () is added to AttributeList, we are not that far
from also adding getElementPrefix () and getElementLocalName () to
AttributeList. With these methods in AttributeList (and some additional
attr-namespace supp methods, the DocumentHandler interface could be

   public void startElement (String prefixedName, AttributeList attrs);

   (etc.)

...and SAX2 would have full namespace support and also be nearly fully
compatible to SAX1 (Ok, not for implementors of AttributeList, but who
does that except from parser writers?)

Ok, in fact, AttributeList would become a kind of "startElementEvent". I
am not sure if I realy like this suggestion myself, because
AttributeList would be more than the name suggests. But it provides
compability and full namespace support at once without registering two
different handlers...

Best regards,

Stefan