Namespaces and Validating XML Parsers Question

Andrew Layman andrewl at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 3 19:20:31 GMT 2000

The namespaces specification does not provide any particular means to
associate a namespace with any defining or collateral documents (e.g.
schemas).  It only provides a means to map qualified name prefixes to URIs,
thereby allowing names to be unique.

The specification leaves it up to other facilities to actually associate
those unique names with related documents.  One such facility is the XML
Schemas specification, which contains a mechanism by which an author can
associate a schema with a namespace.