unicode confusion

Fabio Arciniegas A. l-arcini at uniandes.edu.co
Tue Jan 4 18:40:58 GMT 2000

<snip/>
> Note that Java uses UTF-16, which isn't quite fixed-width, though no
> one really notices.

Err... David, I thought Java used UTF-8, actually a version slightly
different from the "typical" version that expresses:
Characters in the range  \u0001 to \u007F in one byte: 0[bits 0-6]
Characters in the range  \u0080 to \u07FF and \u0000 in two bytes:
110[bits 7 -10]  10[bits 0-6]
Characters in the range  \u0800 to \uFFFF in three bytes: 1110[bits 12-15]
10[bits 6-11] 10[bits 0-5]

(what's different from typical is that NULL is in two bytes, so there's no
embedded nulls in java vm strings)
However, It has been quite a while since the last time I looked... Have
this changed in latest versions?

Best,
Fabio

--
Fabio Arciniegas A.		        Viaduct Technologies, Inc.
fabio at viaduct.com			Software Engineer