SAX2: Namespace Processing and NSUtils helper class

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Wed Jan 5 19:51:25 GMT 2000

At 11:41 AM 1/5/00 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
>To be clearer, the cases correspond to these XML documents:
>	- undeclared prefix (error for namespace, but legal XML)
>		<prefix:EXAMPLE />

In SAX2, if namespace processing is turned on (the default) this clearly
has to be handled as an error.

>	- default namespace (per namespace spec, sections 2, 5.2)
>		<root xmlns="http://foo">
>			<EXAMPLE xmlns:prefix="" />
>		</root>

Likewise.  xmlns:prefix="" is always an error per the namespace spec.
Er, did you mean <EXAMPLE xmlns="">?  If so, it's correct and EXAMPLE is
not in any namespace.

>	- Some URI
>		<prefix:EXAMPLE xmlns:prefix="http://foo" />

What's the problem here?

>That is, there's a distinction between "declaration needed and missing"
>and "default namespace".

Indeed.  The first is an error, the second is legal.  I'm feeling stupid,
because I think I'm missing your point.

>Since the XML standard doesn't directly incorporate the namespaces
>spec (and make the first case be a fatal error), there needs to be
>some way to deal with that first case, and some way that it'll be
>exposed through APIs.

The only way to expose the first case is as an error.  What am I missing?
 -Tim