SAX2: Namespace Processing and NSUtils helper class

Miles Sabin msabin at cromwellmedia.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 20:10:00 GMT 2000

Tim Bray wrote,
> As a consequence of this, I have suggested that in SAX2, we
> use "" to represent the absence of a namespace rather than
> null.  Then you'll always be able to do
>
> if (ns.equals(myNamespace))
>
> rather than
>
> if ((ns != null) && ns.equals(myNamespace))

I don't think that's enough of a justification, because so
long as myNamespace is known to be non-null (surely the most
common case) we could represent the absence of a namespace as
null and write,

  if(myNamespace.equals(ns))

I think the Java idiom,

  if(knownNonNull.equals(possiblyNull))

is widely known enough to make this reasonable.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews