SAX2: Namespace Processing and NSUtils helper class

uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com uche.ogbuji at fourthought.com
Thu Jan 6 04:14:39 GMT 2000

> Tim Bray wrote:

> > At 10:32 AM 1/5/00 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> > >Namespace URIs clearly have three kinds of values, not that
> > >it's specified in the namespace spec very clearly (and I suspect DOM L2
> > >may need tweaking to get this right):
> > >
> > >       - Undeclared (null?)
> > >       - Declared as no-value (empty string, "")
> > >       - Some URI (the case folk focus on).
> >
> > No.  The second case is explicitly ruled out by the namespace spec.  Check
> > sections 2 and 5.2 of the namespace spec.
>
> I think you've gotten confused by the multiple iterations on this
> topic.  Likely not the only person!

To my reading, you're the one confused.  You explicitly said that "Namespace
URIs clearly have three kinds of values..." and went on to list one of them as
'Declared as no-value (empty string, "")', implying, to my mind, that SAX must
deal with this case.  Tim rejoined that this case is erroneous, implying to my
mind that it need not be dealt with in the SAX interface, but in
error-handling.  I think Tim's clarification has eliminated a lot of the
difficulty you were making about David Megginson's latest proposal.

--
Uche Ogbuji
FourThought LLC, IT Consultants