[techspace] Re: Questions related to XML

Falk, Alexander falk at icon.at
Fri Jan 7 08:20:11 GMT 2000

ad 1)
yes, the XML grammar is specified in EBNF (extended backus naur form) in the
original XML 1.0 specification (
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-notation
<http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-notation> ), but the
individual lines of the EBNF are scattered through the specs. For a more
condensed version, please download our XML editor XML Spy (
http://www.xmlspy.com <http://www.xmlspy.com> ) which uses an external EBNF
file to drive its parser, so you can simply take the file "gra_xml.txt" as a
starting point after installing our software.

ad 2)
XML is defined as a Unicode compliant document, so the XML "keywords" (or
more correctly: element names) can come from almost any other character set.
If you are interested, I have collected numerous international XML example
documents that contain korean, japanes, russian, thai, etc. element names.

ad 3)
two different answers:
a) if your document does not refer to a DOCTYPE (either internally or to an
external DTD file) and it is well-formed, then it is also considered valid
b) if you include a DOCTYPE that defines only <!ENTITY ...> rules, but not
<!ELEMENT ...> constrains, then your document will also be not imposing any
restrictions and be valid

ad 4)
no, a document can only refer to one external DTD file. However, an external
DTD can then include several other "partial" DTD files, so you can easily
separate your document type into smaller chunks and put them together
individually for each XML file depending on the particular needs. The key is
to use "external entities" in the DTD that are then resolved by including an
external file.

ad 5)
yes, you can also define DOCTYPEs that declare elements recursively. This is
OK and is in fact also used in many popular DTDs (e.g. XHTML 1.0)

Sincerely,

Alexander Falk

... Icon Informations-Systeme GmbH
... makers of the XML Spy editor ( http://www.xmlspy.com