SAX2 NS processing (was Re: Namespace question)

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Fri Jan 7 14:20:36 GMT 2000

At 09:00 AM 1/7/00 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>Basically, the difference in pseudo code is this:

[pseudo-code stuff]

>In other words, there's not a very significant difference between the
>two.  The main problem is that the spec is just so much harder to read
>and understand that it had to be.

Yes, but is SAX2 going to continue that confusion, or is it going to
clarify it?

Basically, there are three choices.

1) Ignore problem - let chaos continue, and force apps and developers to
deal with pseudo-code stuff above.

2) Make a choice - SAX2 defines a namespaces best practice, makes itself
simpler than the spec.  You seem to lean toward 'attributes with no prefix
inherit their element prefix'.

3) Provide an option and a default - SAX2 makes a choice, but lets
applications opt for the other choice without requiring developers to
understand namespaces enough to implement that pseudocode.

I'd push _hard_ for 2 or 3.  SAX2 has to make one of these 3 choices.  Which?

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com