Namespaces and XSLT simplified syntax

Dan Vint dvint at slip.net
Sun Jan 9 21:16:56 GMT 2000

Here is yet another question on namespaces that I came up with after looking at
the XSLT specification and its simplified syntax. And let me go a little
further back to HyTime.

I understand (sort of) how an attribute on any'ol element can be pointed to or
mapped to an attribute in a different namespace by using a prefix to the
attribute name as shown here:

                xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/strict">

I also thought that architectural forms from HyTime allowed me to say this
element of whatever name I specify should be treated like this other element
over here - I don't remember what the syntax is for it by I have sort of
thought of namespaces as being related to this functionality.

What I'm looking for is the syntax in XML/namespaces that would allow me to say
(in the above example)
that my element <html> should be treated as <xsl:stylesheet> and thus allow me
to use content from the HTML content model for the element <html> and the
content for the <xsl:stylesheet>. Of course I would use the namespace prefix
for those elements as well.

Is there a method for aliasing two elements like this?

There seems to be an indication that an xsl:stylesheet modeled style sheet
should work the same as a stylesheet somehow being managed in a literal result
element (see the requirements for the version and other attributes in this
case), but then the only example shown in the spec (and the only model that I
can think of) seems to fall squarely into the simplified syntax model which
then has the restrictions about only using instruction elements - am I just
mixing these two ideas up?

Is the simplified syntax just a stricter set of requirements, but the more
general form of using a literal result element as the document root and
spreading xsl:xxxx top-level elements is allowed in the more general case?

..dan

Danny Vint                                       http://www.dvint.com