Sterday morning mind games or News from Didier's lab

Didier PH Martin martind at netfolder.com
Tue Jan 11 14:41:53 GMT 2000

Hi Graham,

Graham said:
----------------------------
The LISP approach has long interested me:

its not a great leap to imagine (I might not have matching brackets here..)

(xsl:template ((match booklist/item)(ID g34)))
  (!cdata (
	(make display-group
		(make box
			(literal "Is this weirdo??")
			(make rule)
			(make paragraph)
		)
	)
	))
	(xsl:apply-templates ((select="."/)))
)

And then a mce to evaluate XML rather then having to blur XML parser with
LISP eval. The kinds of paradimgs that have been heavily researched in the
LISP/ Scheme environemnts such as continuations would, I believe, open us
some interesting possibilities.

Didier reply:
----------------------------
In fact this is mostly what DSSSL is doing today even in a simpler form
except for the query expression which is based on SDQL and which is not a
masterpiece of conciseness. One of the OpenJade team member played with the
idea of implementing an XPath parser in DSSSL so that we could  have an
expression like:

(query (xpath "booklist/item")
	(make display-group
		(make box
			(literal "Is this weirdo??")
			(make rule)
			(make paragraph
				(process-children)
			)
	)

)

If you want to know more about the OpenJade project or experiment with
scheme based language you can go to: http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL.
OpenJade is now on the route of its third release since less then one year.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind at netfolder.com
Conferences:
Web New York (http://www.mfweb.com)
Book to come soon: XML Pro published by Wrox Press
Products: http://www.netfolder.com