Great controversies of XML

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Thu Jan 13 23:12:44 GMT 2000

At 05:52 PM 1/13/00 -0500, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

>2. Whitespace, Ignorable or Otherwise

That really controversial?  All that happens is that every so often,
a new group comes along and says "oh, I'll just write down a simple set
of rules for ignoring whitespace that works across applications" and
a few months later they realize they can't.  One such group was the
original XML WG.  Unlike some of your others, I think most people who've
been around the track more than once have learned to live with the fact
that whitespace is only ignoreable in the context of some particular app.

>6. Internal Subsets

Shouldn't that just be 6. DTDs?

-T.