String interning (WAS: SAX2/Java: Towards a final form)

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Fri Jan 14 20:39:11 GMT 2000

Miles Sabin <msabin at cromwellmedia.co.uk> writes:

> Not just a DOM. Quite a few people are sitting SAX on top of
> all sorts of data-structures which don't necessarily make any
> interning guarantees. And don't forget database queries.

With database queries you usually already know the names and you're
querying just for the contents:

  select name, age from PersonalInfo where status = 'active'

and then

  <person>
    <name>Jane Smith</name>
    <age>27</age>
  </person>

I didn't get the "person", "name", or "age" strings out of the
database: they're hard-coded in my filter.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/