file extension naming conventions

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Fri Jan 14 21:54:27 GMT 2000

Over the past few months, I've noticed quite a few different file
extensions being used, by the W3C and elsewhere, to describe XML and
XML-related documents:

 .xml - xml files
 .dtd - document type definitions

Fair enough - these are defined in RFC 2376:

 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2376.txt

In addition, I've seen (and used):

 .xsl - XSL files
 .css - pretty obvious, CSS files

I don't know if these are defined (along with their corresponding MIME
type/subtype) as the others seem to be in RFC 2376.

Elsewhere, however, I've seen the following:

 .ent - entities
 .xsd - XML Schema Document?
 .mod - used in the XHTML modularization efforts
        (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/)

I'm just curious how many more there are, and whether there has been
any effort to document them a la RFC 2376.

TIA for any pointers,
Steve