Does anyone know of such a tool....

David Turner dturner at microsoft.com
Sun Jan 16 21:34:38 GMT 2000

Prasad,

For SQL Server you should look at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/xml/articles/xmlsql/sqlxml_prev.asp

David
--------------------------------
David Turner
XML Product Manager
Microsoft Corp.
-----Original Message-----
From: prasadm at crt.com [mailto:prasadm at crt.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2000 7:44 AM
To: xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
Subject: Does anyone know of such a tool....

Hi All,

We are currently in search of a tool on the web which accepts an SQL query
as the input and gives us back an XML file containing all the results with
the
tags representing the column names of the table being queried.

One such we found is Oracle's XSQL Servlet, but using this we can make only
connections to Oracle database. What if we want to connect to a different
database
like say SQL Server, MS Access, etc.

Another such tool we found is IBM's XML Lightweight Extractor, but this
requires the
query to be specified in a different manner i.e. a "xxx.dtdsa" file must
contain the dtd
of the resulting xml document and also the relationship between the tables
used in the
query. This seems to be of somewhat complex. Although IBM's XLE tool
provides
access to any database (viz. Oracle, DB2, etc) specifying the query in the
required dtdsa format becomes difficult.

Thanks for your time. If anyone knows of any tool, that takes a SQL
query(select) as its
input and returns an XML document, please share it with me.

Thanks in Advance,

Prasad M
Home:-  630-595-0642
Work:-  312-974-6543
prasadm at crt.com <mailto:prasadm at crt.com>

Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ or CD-ROM/ISBN
981-02-3594-1
Please note: New list subscriptions now closed in preparation for transfer
to OASIS.