Alternatives to the W3C

Hunter, David dhunter at Mobility.com
Mon Jan 17 18:05:53 GMT 2000

From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray at textuality.com]
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2000 12:46 PM

> At 11:19 AM 1/17/00 -0600, Len Bullard wrote:
> >The future is outside the web browser.
>
> Nope.  The only category of application that has any hope of existence
> outside of a browser are authoring apps, whether for docs or graphics.
> 99% of all real-world business apps amount to database retrieval and
> update.  Why would you ever run one of those through anything but a
> browser?  -Tim

A holy war which has nothing to do with XML.  I've seen the debate over and
over again:  What we're doing these days is so sophisticated, but in order
to do it in a browser we have to jump through so many hoops.  Is it really
worth it, or should we just write a client-side application in Visual Basic
instead, and be done with it?

The more you try and distribute work between the client and the various
servers, the more important the issue becomes.  And I think it's far from an
open-shut case.

David Hunter
david.hunter at mobileq.com
http://www.MobileQ.com